Escondido is located north of San Diego County in California USA. The name of Escondido translates to “hidden” in Spanish. It resides in a shallow valley surrounded by rocky mountains. Escondido was established in 1888, it is one of the oldest towns in San Diego. The city of Escondido has approx. population of 144,831 residents. The city is also known as Eskondiid in Diegueño tongue. A study in the U.S. voted Escondido no. 11 out of 25 of the most conservative cities in USA. Escondido has a total area of 36.5 mi². 36.3 mi² of it is land and 0.2 mi² of it is water according to the U.S. Census. The complete area is 0.52% water.
Downtown Escondido’s land is approximately 460 acres reaching from highway 15 and Valley Parkway to the west and Palomar Hospital to the east. The Retail District in Downtown land measures 24 acres surrounded by 2nd Avenue, Maple Street, Juniper Street, and Valley Parkway. Old Escondido is connected to Chestnut Street to the east, Escondido Boulevard to the west, Fifth Avenue on the north, and Thirteenth Avenue on the south. This area is made up of mostly single-family residential housing.
Escondido was first established by the Native American people. Spain controlled the territory from the late 1700s to the early 1800s, and founded a lot of missions in the State to change the native locals. Then Mexico received its freedom from Spain, the local territories where split into many ranchos. The land that became Escondido later was called before Rancho Rincon del Diablo, a land title was given to Juan Bautista Alvarado by the Mexican governor in 1843. War broke out between the United States and Mexico in 1846. A key fight was battled in the location south of the city. This battle was known as the Battle of San Pasqual, it withdrew Andres Pico, he was a Mexican who was Pío Pico’s brother – a then governor of California.
Escondido is home to a large Spanish speaking residents dating back to 1850, but after the United States won the war, more people that where not Hispanic made home Southern California in intensify in numbers. A number of investors named the Escondido Land & Town Company bought the 12,814 acre area of Escondido in 1886. The two years after in 1888, Escondido was joined in as a city in San Diego County. The Santa Fe and Southern Pacific railroads were constructed in the 1880s, and opened the Route 395 boosted economic growth in Escondido in 1930. Escondido started off as an harvesting community, planting muscat grapes firstly. Lake Wohlford was built in 1894. By the 1960s avocados became the largest local crop. Since the 1970s, Escondido has lost most of its agricultural landscape to new housing developments.
There are 13 parks in Escondido, Grape Day, Grove Park El Norte, Jesmond Dene, Rod McLeod, Daley Ranch, Kit Carson, Dixon Lake, Mountain View, Washington, Westside, Ryan Park, and Lake Wohlford. The last major international work by French artist Niki de Saint Phalle, called Queen Califia’s Magical Circle, is situated in Kit Carson Park. She is famous for her Stravinsky Fountain, situated in Paris, France. De Saint Phalle, was a colleague and friend of Jasper Johns and Salvador Dalí. The artist picked her final masterpiece to be in Escondido because it made her feel like in Italy.
A huge tourist attraction in the skirts of Escondido is the San Diego Wild Animal Park, it is the sister park of the San Diego Zoo, which is located next to Balboa Park in San Diego. The Wild Animal Park has wild animals from all over the world living in open habitat, graze, where they can roam, and fly freely.
Escondido is extending at a fast pace with new neighborhoods. The town is surrounded by many separated residential neighborhoods. Which include Hidden Meadows and Jesmond Dene to the north, Rincon and Felicita Park to the southwest, Del Diablo to the southeast. Neighborhood locals belong to Escondido mailing zip codes and addresses, and sometimes assigned to schools in Escondido, however they do not take part in the city elections.
During the 20th century the neighborhood increased in size and the economy broadened. Presently the neighborhood has around 140,000 in population, an economy established on retail, tourism, agriculture, services, high tech, and light industry. The community doesn’t have a large lower middle class population it used to have. 36 Escondido homes were destroyed or damaged in the October 2007 Witch Creek Fire.
Near Escondido there are three lakes that are located around the area, in all of the following lakes bellow they allowed boating and fishing: Lake Wohlford is to the north east corner of the town boundaries. Dixon Lake is to the north. Lake Hodges is to the south of Escondido.
During 1964 to 1968, the famous San Diego Chargers used to have a training camp in Escondido.